Sunday, July 3, 2011

Rafting in the Rockies

This is part 1 of a 2 part post about how awesome of a time we had last week on our Colorado vacation. On Monday, our 7 year anniversary, we went whitewater rafting for the first time. We drove about an hour west of Denver, on one of the most spectacular drives I have ever been on, to Idaho Springs, CO to raft on Clear Creek. Now, I made the reservations a month ago, naive to the situation that was brewing in the mountains. All over Colorado and Wyoming, rivers and creeks are flooding. Usually, the snowpack on the Rockies melts slowly as temperatures gradually increase during May and June. This year, the Colorado snowpack was at 250% of the normal level, and the snow and cold lasted into the end of May. So instead of a gradual thaw, the snow is melting very fast and pouring into waterways.

When we got to the rafting site, we were warned about the dangerous conditions. The creek is so high and fast that the usual 2 hour path takes just 45 minutes, and most of the rapids had been increased in class (rapids are ranked class 1-6, with 6 being essentially unpassable). If I'm being honest, I pretty scared and was seriously considering downgrading our trip to the beginners (kiddie) trip. But Jason was brave and insisted that we would be fine.


So we got geared up in wetsuits, splash jackets, life jackets and helmets, and got on a bus to head down to the put in. Then we got a 20 minute training session on the different paddle strokes, how to stay in the raft, and what to do when you fall out, or when the boat capsizes. Of course, all this served to further terrify me.

Then we met with our teams and practiced synchronizing our strokes. There is a guide in the back of the raft who steers and shout commands, but the 6 of us in the front do all the paddling.


Listening to the training session
Jason looking very serious and intense as
we learned how not to die

Honestly, I don't know how I look so calm here.
I assure you, I am freaking the F out.



Our rafting team. Only two of us had ever been rafting before.
Also, notice that you don't sit in the raft. You sit on the side of the raft. Scary!

Then it was time to actually enter the water. We got in at a "slow" section, only class 2. It was crazy fast. As soon as we got onto the raft, it took off.

Just getting into the Creek, with the Rockies towering around us.

In the "slow" section of the Creek- class 2.
Yay- we made it through the first rapid! I am just happy to still be in the boat.
The first few splashes in the face were absolutely shocking- the water is just 35 degrees and the air temperature was 75 that day. It was icy cold on our face and hands, but thanks to the wetsuits (and the adrenalin) we didn't get cold at all. A few minutes in, we hit our first class 3 rapids.

Headed into the first class 3 rapids.
And then this happened-




The two other women fell backwards out of the raft. I am still smiling like an idiot, not aware for several seconds that we had lost someone. The girl in the back popped up right beside the raft and the guide yanked her back in. But the other woman got caught in a rapid and was swept ahead of the raft.

 
See that little bit of yellow in the rapids ahead of the raft- that's her.

We pulled over to the side and waited for her to be picked up by the rescue kayaker.

While we were waiting for her, an empty raft floated past. Eerie.

After all those people fell out, and I realized that I had stayed in the raft, I felt more confident and really enjoyed the rest of the trip. We went on to go through another class 3 and then four class 4 rapids. Those are seriously intense! Here is a series of images from our last class 4 rapid, to give you an idea of how high the water was.





Somehow, we came out of this last rapid with all members of our group still in the raft.


It was the absolute most exciting 45 minutes of my life! And Jason and I stayed in the raft the entire time! We can't wait to go back and do it again. In fact, Jason's Dad wants to go, so we may be back in 2 weeks when they come to visit. If you ever have the opportunity- DO IT!!

That evening we went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant and then returned to our hotel to unwind in the jacuzzi with a bottle of wine. It was one of the best days I can remember, and a great way to celebrate 7 happy years.



Next time- Why Boulder is the best city ever. Bye for now!

Love,
Carly

4 comments:

  1. Love love love the pictures!!! When I went, they recorded and were selling a video of our day. I was incredibly tempted to have a record of our entire raft disappearing into a rapid called Big Nasty, but ended up having to pass it up. Can't wait to do this with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I love white water rafting...I went in Canada on a 5...it freaked me out too. However, it is probably one of my favorite things to do. Glad you all had a good time. Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's been 7 yrs. already. We will have to go together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank you for this informative read; I really appreciate sharing this great.

    ReplyDelete