Monday, August 22, 2011

I love my job!

Okay, I realize I just posted about work last night, but holy crap, I love my job, and I just had to shout it from the mountaintops (quite literally, we live at 7200 ft, people)! Today was just the best day ever. I went and introduced myself to the 3 sections of General Biology, 600 people total, like 99% of whom are brand spanking new freshman. And they were so sweet and polite and excited, with big sincere smiles and eager eyes. I had 3 of them stop me while I was walking around campus later, to ask me questions about lab, and thank me profusely for answering them. I helped one lost and anxious girl find her classroom, which was just right around the corner, but still she was so appreciative. I felt like her mom, but in a good way.

And the grad students were awesome today too. I had meetings with my head TAs, who are both just full of enthusiasm and fantastic ideas. One of them wants to create a lab about photosynthesis- hallelujah, because I really have no idea how to make that interesting, but she is pumped about it! And then, out of the blue, one of my TAs stopped by my office just to tell me how passionate he is about teaching and how he wants to make his career in biology education, and hoped that I could offer him some guidance. Sound like anyone you know? My entire relationship with Peggy Brickman began almost the exact same way! Naturally, I love him now.

So, in short, my job is awesome. I can already say that all of those days when I swore and cried and hated my life as a grad student, and there were many, were completely worth it to bring me to this place. And I truly hope that you will all find the same joy in your work someday, if you haven't already.

Love, Carly

2 comments:

  1. life is good! I'm so happy for you, it sounds like a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like your job!!! It makes waking up in the morning so much better when you have something like that to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete